[Wien] large energy oscillation

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at fys.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed Aug 13 12:43:02 CEST 2003

>  I have just completed a calculation with Wien2K which converged to a
> reasonable result. I am happy with the result, but I noticed that the
> energy jumped up to extremely large values partway through the
> calculation, as shown below. My question is, should I worry about the
> result if this kind of jump in energy occurs, or is this a perfectly
> acceptable, normal occurence?

1) grep the :WARN label, which will tell you something more (probably bad
integration)

2) look at some properties (:MMI, :HFF, :EFG, :RTO, ...) just before and just
after the jump. Are they more or less similar (as far as you can tell, because
these are non-selfconsistent values)? If they are, then you can consider these
high energies as an 'accident de parcours'. If they are not, then you might
have jumped into a qualitatively different solution (local minimum of the Born-
Oppenheimer surface) (your slightly larger energy after the jump compared to
before, suggest this). In the latter case, start your calculation again from
the original situation, with 'something' changed (for instance GAUSS instead
of TETRA), hope you pass the problematic region smoothly this time, and change
back to the original parameters (TETRA again) when you are near convergence,
and converge further (it will jump here for a while, but that's normal).

Stefaan