[Wien] txspec

Joo Yull Rhee rheejy at office.hoseo.ac.kr
Mon Aug 18 10:29:56 CEST 2003

Thanks, Dr. P. Blaha.

I still do not understand.

L2-edge spectrum is SUM of 2p_1/2 -> d (l+1) transition and 2p_1/2 -> s (l-1) transition. The same is also true for the L3-edge, SUM of 2p_3/2 -> d (l+1) transition and 2p_3/2 -> s (l-1) transition.

In 'txsepc.f' the l -> l+1 transition is calculated first and stored into 'X(I,1)'. Then the l -> l-1 transition is calculated and stored into 'X(I,2)'. These two transitions have nothing to do with the L2- or L3-edge. As I told you, both edges contain these two transitions. The sum of X(I,1) and X(I,2) is stored into new variable X(I) and another new variable is introduced, XINTER(I). XINTER(I)=0 untill I=JEMIN+ISPLIT-1 and XINTER(I)=X(I) for I=JEMIN+ISPLIT to I=JEMAX+ISPLIT. Later XOUT(I)=XINT1*X(I)+XINT2*XINTER(I) is performed for I=JEMIN,JEMAX+ISPLIT. FInally, energy, XOUT(I), X(I,1) and X(I,2) are printed out. So, I think the SPLIT can 'split' the 2p_1/2 -> d (l+1) transition and 2p_1/2 -> s (l-1) transition, not the L2- and L3-edges.

Another question. How come the L2- and L3-edge spectra are identical to each other? Experimentally, they ARE different from each other. Theoretically, they should be different. Maybe the radial wave functions are not much different from each other, however, there are quite large difference in the occupation of states with different angular momentum (l) and its z-comp (m) quantum number. Therefore, it should make, at least, some difference in the dipole transition matrix elements.

One more question. Is the program 'txspec' treated the m-selection rule properly? I mean, since the incident light is usually not polarized, we have to consider all three possibilitites, delta_m=+1,-1,0. The first two transitions correspond to the right and left cirularly polarized lights and they are very important to MCD and to calculate the magneto-optic effect in ordinary optical conductivity calculation.

Joo Yull Rhee