[Wien] mixing vs. lapw2 CPU time

Steven Homolya Steven.Homolya at spme.monash.edu.au
Wed Aug 20 12:26:47 CEST 2003

Dear Wien users,

Q: Why does changing the value of the broyd mixing parameter make a big
difference to the CPU time used by lapw2?

I have two identical cases, except that one has BROYD=0.4 and doesn't
convere, while the other has BROYD=0.1 and does converge.

The curious thing is that with the smaller mixing parameter lapw2 takes
over 2 times longer, and is the most time-consuming step of each SCF
cycle.

I have 10 atoms (6 non-equiv.) in a long (38 bohr) and skinny (5 x 5
bohr^2) primitive unit cell.

--
Steven Homolya
School of Physics and Materials Engineering