note on scratch (Re: [Wien] troubles in LAPW1)

Steven Homolya Steven.Homolya at spme.monash.edu.au
Fri Jul 11 06:55:10 CEST 2003

An note on SCRATCH choice, perhaps of importance for some:

If $SCRATCH is a global directory like say /tmp, you will not be able to run
two calculations that have the same case name simultaneously. (Took me quite
a while to figure out why wien2k was crashing a lot.) Setting SCRATCH to a
subdirectory of the wien2k case directory, e.g. SCRATCH="./wien2k_tmp", will
fix this problem. (But then one must remember to create the scratch directory
for every new case... and cleaning up gets more cumbersome.)

Eg. Say you want to run two instances of the TiC example one with RKmax = 7.0
and another with RKmax = 8.0, and you set them up in

~/RKM7/TiC
~/RKM8/TiC

and start the scf cycles for both. If SCRATCH is an absolute path like /tmp,
the two calculations will confuse each others O/Ps and I/Ps, and crash or
produce nonsense. No problems if each case has its own scratch dir.

--
Steven Homolya
School of Physics and Materials Engineering