[Wien] digest viewer

Javier Fuhr fuhr at crmc2.univ-mrs.fr
Fri Jul 11 12:00:48 CEST 2003

The problem with the old digets is they are not in mailbox format. You can
transform them deleting the first part (up to the first long line of -,
including the line), and using awk with the following program:

BEGIN {
  s = 1;
}
{
  if ($1 == "------------------------------") {
    s = 1;
    nl = 0;
  }
  else if (s == 1) {
    if ($1 == "Date:") {
      printf "From wien at zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at ";
      for (i = 2; i <= NF; i++) {
        printf "%s ",$i;
      }
      printf "\n";
      line[nl] = $0;
      nl++;
      for (i = 0; i < nl; i++) {
        printf "%s\n",line[i];
      }
      s = 0;
    }
    else if ($1 != "") {
      linea[nl] = $0;
      nl++;
    }
  }
  else {
    print;
  }
}

Use for example:

     awk -f program summary_1999.eml  > file

Then you can them import the resulting file with any mail program.

Javier.

On Thursday July 10 2003 14:44, Kevin Jorissen wrote:
> The most recent digests are available online
> (http://zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/pipermail/wien/) and you can browse them
> by subject, author, thread, and date.
> If anyone knows a nice way of using the old digests, I'm interested, too,
> to hear more about it.
>
> Kevin.

Javier Daniel FUHR
CRMC2-CNRS