[Wien] Compile errors

Jeff Spirko spirko at lehigh.edu
Tue Jul 15 17:51:03 CEST 2003

In order to compile things -static in Linux, you need the .a files
that correspond to the .so.# files that are normally used.  For
example, for libpthread, the file /lib/libpthread.so.0 comes with
the glibc package that is normally installed.  For static
compilation, /usr/lib/libpthread.a is required, which comes with the
glibc-devel package.  The current trend is to include the static
libraries only with development packages.

On the other hand, I don't know of any real reason why you can't
just avoid static compilation.  Any libraries that are only
available in the static .a form (like SRC_lib/libatlas_athlon.a)
will be linked statically anyway.