[Wien] problem with supercell

Kevin Jorissen kevin.jorissen at ua.ac.be
Thu Jul 17 20:15:35 CEST 2003

Hello Angelica,

I never did this myself, but I remember that it has been discussed on the
mailing list about a year ago (you can check the digest).  People asked
about using dummy atoms (i.e., empty spheres in your structure).  I remember
that P. Blaha was not really fond of this idea, but to those who persisted
in trying, he advised not to use a dummy atom with Z=0 during
initialization, but one with a small charge (eg. 1).  Then you would have to
correct this in case.struct (and also the number of electrons in case.in2, I
suppose) before starting the SCF.
I'm not sure how that might relate to your problems, but I thought I'd
mention it anyway.

About the calculation-that-takes-too-long : from the convergence (rkmax, nk)
of the simple material, you can make a good extrapolation for the number of
k-points necessary for the supercell.  See Stefaan's paper for details.

Good luck,

Kevin.