[Wien] problem with supercell

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at fys.kuleuven.ac.be
Sat Jul 19 14:55:34 CEST 2003

> I initialized this supercell with vacancy and started SCF.
> I have in this cell with vacancy 8 inequivalent atoms and 4 symmetry
> operation :

(...)

> Is it reasonable for a supercell?

Yes. You start from a high symmetry situation, and break that symmetry by
removing one atom. Much of the original symmetry will get lost, but as you
touched only one atom, it is reasonable that some symmetry remains (certainly
at the boundary of the cell). Now you have 8 instead of 15 inequivalent
positions and 4 instead of 1 symmetry operations, which should speed up your
calculation a lot.

Stefaan