[Wien] M/Ge(111)-3x1 reconstruction and mkl_p4

Kevin Jorissen kevin.jorissen at ua.ac.be
Thu Jul 24 18:01:24 CEST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Pankhurst" <david.pankhurst at materials.oxford.ac.uk>
To: <wien at zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at>
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2003 7:11 PM
Subject: Re: [Wien] M/Ge(111)-3x1 reconstruction and mkl_p4

> Dear Michael,
>
> The problem is due to the fact that in the most recent version of mkl,
> mkl_p4 library is only available as a shared object (.so extension) so the
> -static linker option, which in the default setup for ifc in Wien2k, will
> not allow the linking of this object (see ifc man page).  I assume this
> option is in there for performance reasons; static libraries produce
> faster (but larger) exectutables.  The _ia32 one is available as a static
> library (.a extension) and thus can be linked with the -static option.  I
> have not read the docs for this latest mkl so no idea how exactly you are
> supposed to use these libraries.

I have, just now.  The docs say :
All statically linkable processor specific versions of the Intel MKL are now
collected into
two libraries with runtime CPU detection - one library for IA-32 and one for
the Itanium®
processor family. These libraries replace previous processor specific
sub-libraries.

Kevin.