[Wien] M/Ge(111)-3x1 reconstruction and mkl_p4

David Pankhurst david.pankhurst at materials.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Jun 19 19:11:58 CEST 2003

Dear Michael,

The problem is due to the fact that in the most recent version of mkl,
mkl_p4 library is only available as a shared object (.so extension) so the
-static linker option, which in the default setup for ifc in Wien2k, will
not allow the linking of this object (see ifc man page).  I assume this
option is in there for performance reasons; static libraries produce
faster (but larger) exectutables.  The _ia32 one is available as a static
library (.a extension) and thus can be linked with the -static option.  I
have not read the docs for this latest mkl so no idea how exactly you are
supposed to use these libraries.  Does anyone here?

best,

	Dave

> Also, I´ve compiled the p4 at work using the ia32 lib. For some reason
> siteconfig can find this but it cannot find mkl_p4. Does anyone know what
> the problem could be. I am using mkl6, redhat 7.3

| Dr David Pankhurst,             | Tel : +44 1865 283325/283326       |
| Department of Materials,        | Fax : +44 1865 273789              |
| University of Oxford,           |                                    |
| Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PH, UK  | david.pankhurst at materials.ox.ac.uk |