[Wien] precision problem

Jorissen Kevin Kevin.Jorissen at ua.ac.be
Wed Nov 5 10:42:36 CET 2003

Hi Torsten,
what you say is correct, only I would not call it an error.
Equivalency is determined by two things :
* equivalent atoms must have identical chemical environment
* there must be a symmetry operation of the lattice connecting equivalent atoms.

Nn checks the first condition, and sgroup takes care of the second one.  Obviously the second condition will sometimes reduce the equivalency obtained by the first condition only.
So after running nn, one must always run sgroup also.  Even if one chooses to ignore the lattice changes proposed by sgroup (CXZ!), one *must* check that the equivalency is not changed by symmetry.

Kevin.