[Wien] construction supercell

Jorissen Kevin Kevin.Jorissen at ua.ac.be
Mon Nov 10 12:40:04 CET 2003

I have seen such things e.g. when I studied InGaN (people use a formula like
a[AlxInyGa1-x-yN] = (1 - x - y)aGaN + xaAlN + yaInN.
This sort of relation is known as 'Vegard's law'.  Of course it is itself an approximation, and then people invented parameters giving the deviation from Vegard's law ...)
I don't know for which systems such an approach is valid, and for which it is not.

I've seen something similar for TiO, when there is no real substitution but there are vacancies, and the lattice parameter relates to the Ti and O content.

As to whether you can use your experimental lattice constants for WIEN : it is always better to use *theoretical* lattice constants.  Of course, to determine these, the experimental values may be a good starting point, as you suggested yourself.

Kevin.