[Wien] Initial wave function

Jorissen Kevin Kevin.Jorissen at ua.ac.be
Fri Oct 3 15:47:57 CEST 2003

Hello, I'll try to help you out here.
* open case.corewf.  This file is written by the program lcore in each scf-cycle (so it now contains the core wave functions of the last iteration, that's what you need).  The structure of this file is as follows :
  Atom 1 (as in case.struct)   [They are not indexed in the file; for each atom, you'll see a line like : 1  core states for
                                                                                                this atom]
      core state 1                    [ there's a line like : CORE STATES = 1S ]
          large component of the wave function of core state 1             [ 781 real numbers ]
          small component of the wave function of core state 1           [idem]
      core state 2
          large
          small
       last core state
          large
          small
   Atom 2
         core state 1
END OF THE FILE.

So, either you write a small script that selects the correct wave function for you, or (if you just need one or two) you copy/paste the correct one yourself into a new file.
The two components are NOT to be added.  In not-relativistic quantum theory, we solve a Schrodinger equation and obtain functions as solutions.  In relativistic theory, we get more complicated solutions : four component wave functions (f1,f2,f3,f4) if we solve the Dirac equation correctly; two component wave functions (flarge,fsmall) in our approach (the scalar relativistic approximation, where spin-orbit is neglected and, if desired, added perturbatively later on).  Don't add them - they are not two parts of one scalar function, but really two separate components of a two component function !!  In the famous Singh book, read section 5.4.2
Core wave functions are described as radial functions times a spherical harmonic function (which depends on the angular variables).  The part in case.corewf is only the radial part.  This is real by the way (not complex).
For each component you will find 781 numbers.  If you use a fortran program to read them, I think you can just use something like
 read(file,*) (small(i),i=1,781)
 read(file,*) (large(i),i=1,781)
to get them (replace file by the correct logical unit number in fortran).

The radial coordinate for each index i is r(i) = R0 * exp[(i-1)*dx]  .
So, the first number is the value of the large component at r= R0 (probably 0.0001 or 0.00005, see case.struct), etc.

Like I said in a previous mail, it is possible that in the output r * f(r) is written, not just f(r).  I don't remember.  It should be obvious when you plot the function.

I'm sorry, I do not know the abbreviation FDMNES.

Let me know if you require further assistance.

Kevin.