[Wien] (no subject)

zhang YS Zhang zhangysthinker at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 9 15:15:05 CEST 2003

Dear wien2k users;
     Here may be some simple questions, but I am not familiar with them.
Forgive if it is trival .........
     I have calcualted the tetragonal CeAg with LSDA, LSDA+SO and
LSDA+SO+SIC method. The absolute total groud state magnetic moment(in μB
unit) of LSDA+SO+SIC is about 1.61 (spin moment is 1.18 and orbital moment
is -2,79 respectively) ,just between the theoretical value Γ8 ground state
(2.0) and experimental value (1.41), this may be viewed as a reasonable
agreement. while the magnetic moment  of LSDA is only (just spin moment)
0.9. Because there is X-ray photoemission spectroscopy (XPS)of the CeAg at
the temperature 3.7K [the x-axis(0-12 ev) corresponds to the Binding energy
relative to the Fermi level, and the y-axis corresponds to the peak
intensity], I want to compare my reslut by LSDA+SO+SIC method with this
XPS, the questions are the followings:

    1.Can we directly compare the total density of states of the unit cell
with the XPS? Someone has commented that the relative  strength of XPS
features should in general be different   from those of  the density of
states, as the latter does not include the  shell-dependent  cross
sections.
 This may in agreement with the userguide about  the XSPEC, which tell us
that theoretical X-ray spectra are generated using the partial densities of
states (in case.dos1ev)and multiplying them with the corresponding dipole
matrix elements. Can we relate the dipole matrix elements with the
shell-dependent cross section?
    2.The commenter also states that neither LSDA nor LSDA+U can in general
be expected to  account for XPS on Ce compounds.Is this right? Can the
XSPEC exit in the wien2k be applied to the Ce compounds?

     Another quesiton: can the Kondo effect be obtained from the band
calculation ?

   It is very helpful and thankful If someone can give us some advices or
references about these questions. If someone can give detailed guide, I can
sent my result to his mail.

Yours