[Wien] mailing list etiquette

Steven Homolya Steven.Homolya at spme.monash.edu.au
Thu Oct 9 14:36:25 CEST 2003

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Peter Blaha wrote:

> Please for all participants of this mailing list:
>
> When you have problems, try to verify them (e.g. start all over in a new
> directory and see if you get the same error).
>
> Specify exactly what you have done and what the exact error message is.

Allow me to add 2 more of my cents to Peter Blaha's comments above:

Please use the "Subject" field of your email to convey what your question
is about. A "no subject" email suggest a lazy author, a disincentive for
people who might be able to help.

I do understand that for many people on this list it is difficult to
communicate in English, and writing a half line summary of an email may be
more difficult than writing the email itself.

Few tips:

If nothing else, put a key-word/phrase of what your problem relates to,
e.g.: "spin-orbit", "cohesive energy", "EFG", etc.... Avoid redundant
phrases in the subject. E.g., put "cohesive energy" rather than "question
about cohesive energy" or "need help calculating cohesive energy".

Thanks for reading,

Steve

--
Steven Homolya
School of Physics and Materials Engineering