[Wien] The space group transformation from C1 to P1

Jorissen Kevin Kevin.Jorissen at ua.ac.be
Thu Oct 23 11:13:16 CEST 2003

In xcrysden, your attached struct file looked reasonable (I mean : no weird things; I don't have a clue as to what kaolinite should look like).
Running nn, the 34 inequivalent atoms are grouped into 17 classes of two equivalent atoms.  Then running sgroup, you will get the message 'unit cell size reduced', i.e., your struct is not really the smallest unit cell.  So we end up with a cell containing only 17 (inequivalent) atoms.
This is in fact normal when going from C to P, I think.
Accepting case.struct_nn, case.struct_sgroup and case.struct_st (and refreshing case.inst) I have no problem in lstart (some leakage : modify ecore or rmt's) or dstart.  I did not try scf but I'm pretty confident there will be no problem.

Here is a trick that could be useful for converting C to P lattice : run supercell, choose number of cells 1,1,1 (and of course 0 vacuum) and target lattice type P.  That should be faster and safer than adding atoms yourself.  Then let nn and sgroup reduce the P cell, as in our kaolinite example.

Kevin.