[Wien] lapwdm (bis)

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at fys.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed Sep 17 12:04:56 CEST 2003

Dear Wien-users,

I did some more tests on the lapwdm 'problem' (?) I posted a few days ago
(see copy below). I could reproduce the problem in bulk bcc Fe, which makes
testing much easier. First I converge the case with spin-orbit and with the
moment in case.inso either along 001 or 100 (010 doesn't seem to work, but
all these 3 cases should be equivalent anyway). Then I run 'x
lapwdm -c -so -up' twice: once with '0 0' in case.indmc, once with '1 3'. In
both cases I see the following output in case.scfdmup:

For '0 0':
:ORB001:  ORBITAL MOMENT:  0.04682  0.00000  0.00000 PROJECTION ON M
0.04682

For '1 3':
:XOP001  2    -0.02690     0.00000     0.07372     0.04682

This is entirely as I expect: both procedures yield the same orbital moment.

But then, instead of 001 or 100, I specify 110 in case.inso (which gives 8
instead of 16 symmetry operations). Now both procedures yield *different*
orbital moments, just as I reported a few days ago for a more complicated
cell:

For '0 0':
:ORB001:  ORBITAL MOMENT:  0.03325  0.03325  0.00000 PROJECTION ON M
0.04702

For '1 3':
:XOP001  2     0.00000     0.00000     0.00000     0.00000

I can now repeat my original question on firmer grounds: "Should both
procedures (00 and 13) be equivalent as I assumed up to now, or do they
calculate different quantities ?"

Stefaan