[Wien] Wien2k benchmark.

Sorin Lazar S.Lazar at tnw.tudelft.nl
Thu Sep 25 09:25:52 CEST 2003

Dear Wien users,

         Was not in my intention to do any benchmark but due to one
unpleasant event (the main computer for Wien calculation was stolen)  we
are in the position to buy some new hardware.
         We have run one test on different platforms using various
compilers and libraries. The result is in seconds and represents the CPU
time taken by lapw1c to calculate one k-point for the test case.

Compaq-Alpha 666                1092 sec        Dec compiler
G4                              4877 sec        /-O Absoft compiler
G5(dual CPU64bits 2GHz) 690 sec         Absoft/-O
G5                              350 sec         /xlf compiler  /G5 64bits
libraries /-O5 -qhot -arch=g5
Athlon XP3000+ (2.17 GHz)       1444 sec        (PGI, PGI compiled LAPACK
and BLAS)
Athlon XP3000+ (2.17 GHz)       705 sec         ifc, mkl
Athlon XP3000+ (2.17 GHz)       541 sec         ifc, ifc compiled LAPACK,
Athlon ATLAS)
Athlon XP3000+ (2.17 GHz)       515 sec         (PGI, PGI compiled LAPACK,
Athlon ATLAS)

As you can see an optimized library for a specific processor is a very
important factor.
We would like to run the same test on an AMD Opteron machine. If some of
you have such a machine
I would be very grateful if you allow me to run a short test.

Sincerely yours,
Sorin Lazar

Ph.D. Sorin Lazar
National Center for HREM
Department of Materials Science and Technology
DELFT University of Technology

Rotterdamseweg 137
2628 AL Delft
the Netherlands