[Wien] Problems when running in a cluster

Daniel Fernández Hevia dhevia at physics.usyd.edu.au
Tue Apr 6 08:27:17 CEST 2004

Dear all,

First, sincere thanks for your help. As Prof. Blaha suggested, when running
"lapw0 lapw0.def", the calculation stops immediately with a message
"segmentation fault". Also, in response to the question if I run any other
WIEN2k calculation, the answer is yes: for example, I have calculated band
structure an force minimization for AlN in wurtzite phase (4 atoms per unit
cell) that compare really very well with published results, so I am pretty
sure that the problem is specific for this calculation. I have checked the
values of my system, and they are as seen below. Swap space is much more
than I have in my laptop, where the calculations run slowly, but they run.
The lapw0 program is slightly bigger in the cluster than in my laptop, but
I think that is not a serious problem.

Most probably there was something wrong during compilation but, as I am by
no means an expert, any suggestion about what to do would be very much
welcome!!!

Thank you so much for your help and best wishes.

Daniel
Daniel Fernández Hevia
School of Physics
The University of Sydney
Sydney 2006, Australia
Phone: +61 2 9036 5301
email:
<https://correo.etsit.upm.es/twig//twig/index.php3?&s[mailbox]=mail%2FEnviados1&s[mainGroup]=%2A&s[mailtree]=0%7C&s[mailGroup]=%2A&s[sortby]=date&s[sortbyway]=1&s[delete-return]=msgview&c[f]=mail&c[a]=compose&form[to]=dhevia@physics.usyd.edu.au>dhevia at physics.usyd.edu.au

size lapw0
1319767  104492 5175800 6600059  64b57b lapw0

dhevia at barossa wien]$ free
Mem:       3874188    3848408      25780          0      68268    2940532
-/+ buffers/cache:     839608    3034580
Swap:      2096472     179832    1916640

[dhevia at barossa wien]$ ulimit -a
core file size        (blocks, -c) 0
data seg size         (kbytes, -d) unlimited
file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
max locked memory     (kbytes, -l) unlimited
max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files                    (-n) 1024
pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 8
stack size            (kbytes, -s) unlimited
cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes            (-u) 7168
virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) unlimited