[Wien] band gap problem

Jorissen Kevin Kevin.Jorissen at ua.ac.be
Wed Apr 7 15:37:03 CEST 2004

As you may know, DFT is a ground state theory and in fact there's no theoretical justification for using excited states from a DFT calculation.  Therefore, spectra may be completely wrong - not only the band gap, but also the fine structure, ...
However, in quite a lot of cases, we see that DFT reproduces spectra quite well.  To summarize, 'we use it because it often works out'.
Band gaps, however, are often wrong (that doesn't mean trends - such as the change of a band gap due to impurities, strain, ... - are necessarily wrong, too); another famous example is the branching ratio, which can only be reproduced by more sophisticated methods (eg TDLDA).

Kevin.