[Wien] How to make case.klist_band

koitzsch Christian.Koitzsch at gmx.ch
Sun Apr 18 21:10:09 CEST 2004

The most convenient way is to use the program XCrysDen
http://www.xcrysden.org. It can be interfaced with Wien and is very useful
if you want to calculate the band structure along high symmetry directions
in some Brillouin zone because it generates the klist in terms of your
reciprocal lattice vectors.
The line

W            40   20    0   40  2.0-0.5 1.5       Template for fcc structure

means that you calculate your eigenvalues at point W, which is at (1,0.5,0)
you specify it with a denominator 40 :=   (40,20,0). So first three numbers
are kx,ky,kz then the denominator. The weight of the kpoint 2.0 is only
important for scf cycles, in your case for bandstructurs you can ignore it.
The energy window in which the kpoints are searched is given by -0.5 to 1.5
Ry. If you dont specify something else, the other kpoints are treated with
the same energy window.

Best Regards

Christian Koitzsch
University of Neuchatel
Dep. of Physics
Switzerland

PS.: Take a look on the mailing list archives on the wien2k web site, other
people have already responded to that question in the past.