[Wien] Meta-GGA

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at fys.kuleuven.ac.be
Sun Aug 1 13:49:22 CEST 2004

Peter Blaha is the one who can give you all the details, but as he is
on holiday I give my opinion on your problem (no correctness
guaranteed):

The (unknown) correct XC-functional should give you the correct total
energy. All actual implementations of DFT use approximations (LDA,
GGA) that give you only a crude approximation of the total energy
(several Ry wrong). Fortunately, relative energy differences are quite
OK, so you can determine an equilibrium volume. Meta-GGA gives you a
better *absolute* value of the total energy, while all other
properties (forces, efg, ...) are the same as in regular GGA.

Therefore, I think your observation that the effect of meta-GGA is
only a shift in the total energy is what you can expect.

Stefaan