[Wien] WARN: Not all eigenvectors are orthogonal, and CLUSTERSIZE parameter

Valerio Bellini vbellini at unimo.it
Tue Aug 3 10:28:25 CEST 2004

Dear Wien users,
I have met problems in lapw1.
I work in fine grained parallel mode, using 32 cpus, simulating a system
composed of 20 inequivalent atoms
(with hydrogen atoms, low MT radius). The cell does not have inversion
symmetry, and has a rather
large volume, i.e. circa 45800 (a.u.)^3.
I have put RKmax=1.8 to begin my test (for which I get 12600 APW's
already!).
After 4 or 5 iterations, the program diverges (eventough the mixing
parameter is not large, i.e. 0.1).
In all the iterations the program gives the warning:

:WARN :      WARNING: Not all eigenvectors are orthogonal

and in the 'output1' it suggests to increase the CLUSTERSIZE parameter
in seclr4.F
Default value of CLUSTERSIZE is 200.

I have two questions:
1) Might this warning have something to do with the divergence of my system
2) Is there a way to judge the new value of CLUSTERSIZE, from, say, some
input parameters, or
one should just just increase it till the warning disappears?

Thanks for your  help.
Valerio Bellini

  Valerio Bellini
  INFM-S3 National Research Center on nanoStructures and bioSystems at Surfaces
  and Department of Physics, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia
  Via Campi 213/A, 41100 Modena, Italy.
  Phone:   ++39 059 2055301
  Fax:     ++39 059 374794
  E-mail:  bellini.valerio at unimore.it