[Wien] How to input the structure file for the Mo2N structure

L. D. Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Wed Aug 11 13:30:57 CEST 2004

This is a rather fundamental problem. In x-ray (electron, neutron)
diffraction when only the Bragg spots are measured, this corresponds to a
statistical average structure which can be modelled by partial occupancies
of certain sites. There may be long- or short-range ordering of these
sites, which would appear at non-Bragg locations (diffuse scattering).

To model this, you would have to try and construct a supercell with some
appropriate random distribution of the sites, and (rigorously) average
over several supercells with different configurations. There might be some
approximations that others could suggest, but I believe that this is a
non-trivial problem without a simple solution (unlike a calculation of a
simple fcc or bcc material).

Laurence Marks
MSE Rm 2036 Cook Hall
2225 N Campus Drive