[Wien] -Isolated molecules of benzene - my approach has not led me further than "dstart"

Andrei Postnikov apostnik at uni-osnabrueck.de
Fri Aug 27 11:59:25 CEST 2004

Alexei,

I would sugest that, "to start with", it would be good enough
to use the hexagonal symmetry, unless you'll have special reasons
(in your subsequent calculations) to make the atoms non-equivalent.

This would imply all C equivalent and all H equivalent,
AND a hexagonal unit cell.
Figure out its reasonable dimensions - large enough to keep
repeated molecules reasonably apart, but not too large.
Empty space and low symmetry both come very expensive in LAPW.
Your cubic cell is anyway inefficient because the benzene molecule
is flat, and you don't need as long C as A.

You'll have enough troubles with small H size and large cutoffs,
so first play around with the smallest cell size and highest possible
symmetry, then you can start to make things worse and closer to reality.

Good luck,

Andrei

 +-- Dr. habil. Andrei Postnikov ----- Tel. +49-541-969.2377 -- Fax .2351 ---+
 | Universitaet Osnabrueck - Fachbereich Physik, D-49069 Osnabrueck, Germany |
 +-- apostnik at uos.de --------- http://www.home.uni-osnabrueck.de/apostnik/ --+