[Wien] calculation of binding energy

Vicki Keast v.keast at emu.usyd.edu.au
Wed Dec 15 04:23:57 CET 2004

Dear fellow Wien2k users,

I am trying to compare experimental (XPS) binding energies to
calculations for  S atoms in different Ni sulfides with different
structures and co-ordination.

The core state energies calculated by Wien are quite different from
experiment and FEFF8 calculations. I assume this is because the zero in
the Wien calculations is the average Coulomb potential not the the
vacuum level. We are also seeing that the trends in the core level
energies are different for Wien than experiment and FEFF.

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about comparing calculated and
experimental binding energies and also on how reliable we might expect
them to be?

Thanks and best wishes to you all,

Regards
Vicki

Dr. Vicki J. Keast
Australian Key Centre for Microscopy and Microanalysis
Madsen Building F09
University of Sydney
Sydney NSW 2006
Ph: + 61 2 9351 4523
Fax: + 61 2 9351 7682
email: v.keast at emu.usyd.edu.au

For correspondence regarding the Australian Microscopy and
Microanalysis Society, please reply to amms.secretary at emu.usyd.edu.au