[Wien] calculation of binding energy

Peter Blaha pblaha at zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Dec 15 12:34:05 CET 2004

As I haven't done much along these lines myself, I'd better not write a
unique guide about that. From what I've heared it should work quite well.
Important might be the point of "symmetry breaking" (or generate a supercell
when the unit cell is small), because you should NOT excite every atom
in the crystal, but only as few as possible (one out of N atoms).

I think that the delta-scf technique (Total energy differences between
groundstate and a calculation with a core hole + 1 electron in valence)
should be even more reliable.

Z+1 is slightly different and I would not recommend.