[Wien] Supercell

Jorissen Kevin Kevin.Jorissen at ua.ac.be
Wed Feb 11 17:34:41 CET 2004

Usually, there's no point in just repeating a unit cell and then doing a calculation for a system that is bigger than before, but contains nothing new.  So you would have to insert this new thing - an impurity, a distortion, a surface, ...  In most cases, this breaks the symmetry, and there's nothing else to worry about.

In any case, you have to make sure that the remaining symmetry in your super cell is not too high.  Otherwise, more than 48 atoms can be equivalent, and there is no space group that can handle that sort of situation.
So, if even after inserting the impurity or whatever, the symmetry in your cell is still too high, you have to break it artificially.  A good way to do that is to slightly change the position of one atom.  A much smaller distortion than the one you propose, will do (eg. shift by 0.0001 instead of 0.02).
Alternatively, you can distinguish between atoms (ie, break equivalency) by labelling them : this will tell nn that the atoms are not equivalent, even if there seems to be no reason for that.  (Does labelling also fool sgroup?  If it doesn't, you can always do it like in the 'old days' : change the atom number temporarily, and switch it back (and do instgen !) before running lstart.  You could apply the same strategy to the shifting of the atom position).

Kevin.