[Wien] Anyone done Silicium yet?

koitzsch Christian.Koitzsch at gmx.ch
Fri Jan 9 19:00:43 CET 2004

I think, it is actually quite common, that LDA underestimates gap sizes. I
remember from a Wien workshop that Prof. Blaha said something to the effect,
that LDA calculates ground state properties (e.g. total energy, densities
etc.), which should not be mixed up with e.g. excitation gaps.

If you want to obtain better "gaps" you have to use other methods, like GW
for instance.

Best Regards

Christian

PS.: I think your Si LDA gap is the "correct" LDA gap, so nothing to worry
about...

Christian Koitzsch
University Neuchatel
Dep. of Physics