[Wien] DOS of cubic structures

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at fys.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed Jan 28 16:16:32 CET 2004

> recently, I have calculated DOS of Pb in its ground state fcc cubic
> structure and decomposed it into the s, p, px, py, pz components
> according to the line corresponding line of the *.qtl file.

If you go through the initialization in the proper way (by init_lapw),
the program symmetry will have set the correct ISPLIT parameter in
case.struct. For a cubic structure like fcc-Pb, this should be
ISPLIT=2. You will find then only a total p-DOS. You can obtain a
px-DOS by dividing this by 3 yourself.

The reason why this is done, is that internally wien2k does not
guarantee that px=py=pz, only their sum is correct. If you try to
obtain explicitly the px separately (by ISPLIT=6), you get something
that is not meaningful.

Stefaan