[Wien] symmetry operation

Jorissen Kevin Kevin.Jorissen at ua.ac.be
Mon Jul 5 16:52:59 CEST 2004

I'm afraid your situation is not entirely clear to me.

As has been pointed out repeatedly, if you want the supercell to have a lower symmetry than the simple system has, then you need to lower the symmetry, right?  By introducing some defect , by changing atom positions...- which is usually the whole point of the supercell calculation.   If wien finds symmetry higher than the subgroup you mention, then maybe you have not sufficiently lowered the symmetry of your unit cell.

If  (eg. for having a pure reference system) you want to run the symmetric cell without making use of its full symmetry, then you either have to edit files manually and introduce the correct equivalency and sym ops personally, or (easier and safer) introduce a defect before starting with nn and removing it before running lstart (make sure that case.inst is correct ...).  This requires a little familiarity with wien.

If you think you're doing everything the right way and wien is making mistakes, you'll have to try harder to convince us.  Sending a struct-file and explaining in a little more detail what it is that you want to do, might be a good idea.

Good luck,

Kevin.