[Wien] Nucleus energy

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at fys.kuleuven.ac.be
Sat Jul 17 20:55:30 CEST 2004

> A perhaps stupid question. Am I safe in assuming that the energy of
> the nucleus in the Coulomb field of the electrons is included in
> Wien?

I might be wrong, but I feel that the energy you mention is exactly
the same as the energy of the electrons in the field of the nuclei,
and that's exactly what :ENE is... Take one classical positive point
charge q, and one classical negative point charge -e, at a distance r
from each other. The energy of the negative one in the field of the
positive one is e*V_q, with V_q the potential due to q: q/r (apart
from a constant). The energy is hence -eq/r. Now switch the roles and
calculate the energy of the positive particle in the field of the
negative one, and you'll find exactly the same.

This reasoning is only true as long as the nuclei are point charges.
Wien does not take into account hyperfine *energy* corrections due to
e.g. quadrupole deformations of the nucleus, although the necessary
electric-field gradient is calculated (:EFG).

Stefaan