[Wien] SP+SO calculation

Peter Blaha pblaha at zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Jul 18 12:35:32 CEST 2004

> I have a question on performing the SP+SO (spin-polarized + spinorbit)
> calculation for Fe6C (space group, 162_P-31m, where Fe on 6k position and C
> on 1a position): i.e. the QTL-B message and the energy to separate semicore
> and valencestates in the *.scf file.
>
> For only the SP calculation, it is fine, no QTL-B in the SCF file and the
> energy to separate semicore and valencestates is about 0.25.
>
> After the convergence of SP calculation, I performed the SP+SO calculations.
> (1) For " runsp_lapw -so" calculation, I got the convergent results, but SCF
> file includes the following messages:
> QTL-B VALUE .EQ.    1.40621
> Energy to separate semicore and valencestates:-999.00000

A QTL-B of 1.4 % is usually not a problem. However:

In the SP+SO calculations you should get basically the same results as in
SP alone, since SO should be a small effect here.
Did you put a correct inso file ? One MUST edit and modify the default
template!!!

What is the direction of your magnetization ? (0 0 1) should be fine,
other directions would change symmetry,.....

Did you run initso and symmetso ?