[Wien] error in k-point parallel execution

Torsten Andersen thor at physik.uni-kl.de
Wed Jul 28 14:26:55 CEST 2004

Dear Mr. Payami,

Mahmoud Payami wrote:
> Dear Dr. Andersen,
>

>>I would need to see your *lapw1*.error files, unless they just say
>>"error in lapw1", but I would suspect they contain more information
>>since the one on your initial host finished.
>

> Here is the "lapw1.error" content:
> --------------
> **  Error in Parallel LAPW1
> **  LAPW1 STOPPED at Wed Jul 28 14:06:03 EDT 2004
> **  check ERROR FILES!
> --------------------------
> There exist only one other "lapw1_1.error" which is empty, and no other
> "lapw1_x.error" (x=2,3,4,5).

So the other lapw1's doesn't even start. This is useful information,
although I am not immediately sure of the consequences. I will be
guessing, though...

>>Do you have a common nfs-mounted home directory?
>>

> I am novice in linux and do not understand its meaning. But I have installed
> "nfs-utils" package on all pc's. Could you please let me know what should I
> do in order to meet this condition?

What I mean is: When you log in on condmat2, do you have the same home
directory as on localhost? You can test this with "touch file_of_zero"
on localhost, then see if it is also present on condmat2.

When you set up Wien2k, it modifies your .cshrc (csh configuration) and
sets a SCRATCH environment variable. Does the directory in this variable
exist on all machines?

What do you get from "echo $SCRATCH" on localhost and condmat2?

What do you get from "echo $path" on localhost and condmat2?

When you log in on condmat2, can you execute lapw1 manually? Try, in a
shell: "which lapw1", and if it gives you a response, try "lapw1". What
is the result?

<snip> Your .machines is ok, I think.

Best regards,
Torsten Andersen.

--
Dr. Torsten Andersen        TA-web: http://deep.at/myspace/
AG Hübner, Department of Physics, Kaiserslautern University