[Wien] convergence of Bader (aim) calculations

Jorissen Kevin Kevin.Jorissen at ua.ac.be
Wed Jun 30 18:03:24 CEST 2004

Dear Peter,
thank you very much for your swift help.  Here are some comments to your reply :

** About the K RMT :
This is core leakage from outputst :
 TOTAL CORE-CHARGE:                  10.0000000000118                                                       <  K
 TOTAL CORE-CHARGE INSIDE SPHERE:    9.99941207977341
 TOTAL CORE-CHARGE:                  2.00000000000043                                                        < C
 TOTAL CORE-CHARGE INSIDE SPHERE:    1.99977147149244

This is not perfect, but I thought it would do.  I cannot increase RMT(C) any further, and tried to keep the two close together.

** About the 'total charge'  :
As mentioned in my e-mail, I also calculated this 'total charge', and for the best calculations (rkmax 6.5 to 7) I have 0.35 electrons too many (roughly 0.006 per atom), so it seems the Bader surfaces are slightly overlapping.

** The accuracy required :
The system is KC60, which means that charge from one K atom will be transferred to a molecule consisting of 60 C atoms.  So the charge transfer per atom is expected to be very small.  My current values  per C atom are comparable to the precision you mention.  An accuracy of 0.005 would be nice.

** The system
is indeed very open and is bound to have low density regions.  I had anticipated problems, and was surprised to see that extending the precision of the density calculation (to gmax 20 and charge components up to l=10 for all atoms) didn't matter at all (differences of at most 0.001 in the charge!).  Let me add that I converged all calculations using run -cc 0.00001.

So, it is obvious that if I want to get reliable numbers, I will need to increase accuracy a little further.  I was hoping for suggestions to how I could do this - by increasing the angular mesh for aim?  By increasing Rkmax?  (By enlarging RMT(K)?).  How critical is the exchange/correlation potential?
All options are rather time consuming, and I was hoping to get away with doing only one :-)

Kevin.