[Wien] Optimization of Gmax

Jorissen Kevin Kevin.Jorissen at ua.ac.be
Thu Mar 11 13:29:30 CET 2004

Here's one comment :
gmax is only the cutoff of the expansion of density and potential, not the cutoff of the basis set used for the solution of the S equation, and hence it's not a 'variational parameter', i.e., no formal reason to expect that higher gmax should always result in lower energy (on the contrary, for higher kmax (or rkmax), we should always get lower energy - if not, then your basis set has become overcomplete, as illustrated in Stefaan Cottenier's dft/lapw-manual).
I don't see immediately why changing the rmt should change the trend you see, but on the other hand, we know that changing rmt can change energies ...

Kevin.