[Wien] Re: Bug in lapwso?

Krzysztof Osuch osuchk at science.unisa.ac.za
Tue Mar 16 13:29:53 CET 2004

Dear Prof. Blaha,

I am using a cluster of Pentium IV processors and Red Hat Linux 9.0.
The whole problem was caused by the ifc 8.0, which I decided to use to
to the reported inconsistencies of ifc 7.1 and the new c libraries. What
misled me completely, was the fact that I could compile all the
subprograms and linked them with the mkl 7.0 libraries without any
problem (no error messages). I could then run the programs for small
systems (1,2) atoms u=in the unit cell. With a larger system 1ML
Au/Nb(100) though, lapw1 was terminated with the message "segmentation
violation" and a core dumped. The investigation of the core file with
idb showed that the size of some matrices which depend on kmax1start
etc. was exceeded. After I had increased these parameters, I could run
lapw1(c) without any problem again. This made me suspect that kmax123
were not dynamically determined. And a similar situation occurred again
with lapwso. After receiving your message I recompiled the code using
ifc 7.1 and mkl70 libraries and now all the problems disappeared. I
simply did not expect that the use of a newer version of ifc (now
compatible with the new linux c libraries) could cause this type of
problems.

I would like to apologize to the Wien team for my previous message.

Best regards

K. Osuch