[Wien] muffin tin approximation

Jorissen Kevin Kevin.Jorissen at ua.ac.be
Thu May 6 05:10:57 CEST 2004

Hi Hsin,

for the description of the potential in the interstitial region, Wien will use an expansion in (symmetrical combinations of ) plane waves.  The cutoff for this PW basis is the parameter gmax in case.in2 (14 by default).
Of course you could theoretically set this to an incredibly small number so that you retain only the k=0 component.  Unfortunately this will cause wien to produce rubbish.  (you know, initialization tells you gmax has to be larger than some gmin, which is in turn linked to rkmax, ie the quality of the basis set used to diagonalize the hamiltonian).

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the only sensible thing you can do is calculate with a sensible gmax and take the 0 component.  Could anyone confirm that?

Kevin.