[Wien] system comfiguration

Gippius Andrei gippius at mail.ru
Tue May 25 09:52:30 CEST 2004

Dear Sirs,

At the moment we are using the Wien2k package on PC with
the following configuration:

Intel Pentium IV 2.4 GHz, 512kB cash, 1Gb DDR
OS: Linux, ifc7.0, mk16.1

We checked the system with the "test_case" (downloaded from Wien2k
site) and it took approximately
350 sec which seems to be not bad for the current configuration.

Our typical calculation takes about 5 days. Now we would like to
upgrade our system to decrease the calculation time. There are 2
possibilities:

a) 2 Separate PC:  Pentium IV 2.4 GHz + Pentium IV (or AMD) 3.2 GHz + LAN 100Mbyte/s
b) 1 PC:  Dual Xeon 2.4 GHz

Could you, please, tell us what configuration will be more effective?
Are any special recommendations concerning motherboards, buses, hard
discs, memory etc.?

Thank you in advance,
Yours sincerely,

Dr. Andrei Gippius