[Wien] Parallel execution & indenpendent scratch disks

Kirk Feindel kfeindel at ualberta.ca
Thu Nov 4 19:10:24 CET 2004

Hi,

We "borrow" part of a homogeneous cluster.  Only the master node can be accessed via w2web.  We do not want to run any calculations on the master.  Also, we have to keep all data on the scratch disks which are not shared between the master and nodes, or between nodes.  Is running a k-point parallel job on multiple nodes, excluding the master, possible without having to manually copy the files generated via w2web to the scratch directory on each node to be used?

i.e., say I create a new job via w2web on the master in                 /scr/wien2k/case/

but plan to run the job on node1 and node2 only in                       /scr/wien2k/case/

and /scr/ on the master and respective nodes are not shared.

Currently, I just manually copy my files on the master /scr/ to the NFS shared /home/ directory, then on the node I want to run the job on, copy the files from the shared /home/ directory to the nodes /scr/ directory.

There must be better ideas.

Thanks

Kirk
Kirk Feindel