[Wien] lcore stops

Peter Blaha pblaha at zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Nov 8 22:39:50 CET 2004

> > You should never run a case where identical atoms (Si) have different
> > radii !
>
> I don't understand why?  The Si atoms are inequivalent.  I only
> chose a smaller one for the Si atom near the hydrogen-terminated
> surface.  Is it because of some basis-function mismatching problem
> at the muffin-tin surface between the two Si atoms?

This means according to the variational principle that you choose a poorer
basis set for the atom with the smaller sphere. It will lead to higher
eigenvalues for this atom, and thus may introduce some artificial charge
transfer,......

This is also the reason for the RMT rules (see faq page on the web). These
rules guarantee that you get the most "ballenced" basisset.