[Wien] Volume Optimization

Jorissen Kevin Kevin.Jorissen at ua.ac.be
Mon Nov 15 11:31:01 CET 2004

I don't know what is wrong with the plotting, but you can do this :

For every volume, you have a case_vol.struct, case_vol.scf and case_vol.clmsum (containing, respectively, the structure, all sorts of information, and the charge density)  (where 'vol' is -5, 0, +5, ...)
For every vol, do
grep :ENE case_vol.scf
This will give you the total energy in every iteration of that particular (vol) structure.
Doing
grep : ENE case_vol.scf | tail -n 1
will give you just the last line, which should be the final and converged value.

You can get the volume by doing grep :VOL instead of grep :ENE.

This will give you the data points needed to make such a plot yourself in your favorite plotting program (if you use gnuplot or matlab or whatever, you can even have the plotting program do the parabolic fit).

good luck,

Kevin Jorissen

EMAT - Electron Microscopy for Materials Science   (http://webhost.ua.ac.be/emat/)
Dept. of Physics