[Wien] TOT ENE -> Vacancy formation energy

MARC CAWKWELL cawkwell at seas.upenn.edu
Mon Nov 15 16:25:19 CET 2004

You have to include for the fact that you have different number of atoms
in your two calculations.

The vacancy formation energy is:

E_vac = ((N-1)/N)*E_tot(N) - E_tot(N-1)

Where N is the total number of atoms in the block without the vacancy:
E_tot(N) is the total energy of the system without the vacancy and
E_tot(N-1) is the total energy of the system with the vacancy. Your 100 Ry
is probably the energy of the atom you removed.

Hope this helps,

Marc