[Wien] TOT ENE -> vacancy energy

MARC CAWKWELL cawkwell at seas.upenn.edu
Mon Nov 15 17:09:39 CET 2004

Yes, that equation would only work if one element is present. I assumed
'Fabella' was looking at the vacancy formation energy in silicon, not a
silicon vacancy in a silicon-containing compound. The point is you need to
take into account the different numbers of atoms in the two calculations.
If you are looking at a certain type of vacancy in a multi-component
system you also need to know which atoms are missing, and their energies
in the bulk.

Marc