[Wien] compiler with ifc70+mkl60 or ifc71+mkl70

fecher fecher at mail.uni-mainz.de
Fri Nov 19 17:08:02 CET 2004

We experienced that the combination Intel ifc7.0 with mkl 6.0, or Portland
Group pgf90 5.1 (comes already with the necessary blas and lapack packages) ,
produced the most stable executables.

In our case we found on Suse Linux 8.2 to 9.1 the following:
It seems that Intel ifort 8.0 or 8.1 have troubles with the memory management.
We figured that Wien2k compiled with 8.1 works fine for small systems (less 6
different positions and high symmetry work fine) but crahes with segmentation
faults for larger systems and low symmetry. Tests with other fortran programs
have shown that the segmentation fault error messages or adress errors are
not the reason , but that serious stack overflows occur. It was always
observed if working with large arrays. This is independent whether
optimization was used or not, it was independent if linking dynamically or
static, it was also not depending on the resource settings like stack size
etc. (as suggested in the Intel developer forums), and finally the crash was
not found in debug mode.
We do not know whether this also appears with other Linux versions, however
none of the errors occured if using ifc7.0, pgf5.0 or some other compilers.

Ciao Gerhard