[Wien] Partial charges inside atomic spheres

stargmoon stargmoon at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 24 17:56:24 CET 2004

Dear Prof. Blaha and wien community,

To Prof. Blaha: In your paper Phys. Rev. B vol 67, p075102 (2003), table 1 shows the partial charges for one spin direction calculated inside the atomic spheres. I don't understand why the Cu s charges are larger than 1, and Cu p charges are larger than 3. Is this contradictive to Pauli repulsion principle? If not, what do the partial charges inside the atomic spheres stand for?

To wien community: Can we estimate the valence state of each atom in an ionic compound from first-principles calculations? For example, in the case of La2CuO4, if we just consider the neutral condition, we have two possible choices assuming oxygen takes its normal ionic state O2-:
1, La takes its 2+ valence state, Cu takes its 4+
2, La takes its 3+ valence state, Cu takes its 2+
Can we determine which one is the most possible choice from our ab inito calculations?

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Stargmoon