[Wien] machines file ... again

Torsten Andersen thor at physik.uni-kl.de
Wed Oct 6 08:06:01 CEST 2004

Hello,

it is ALWAYS more convenient (and much faster) to use k-point
parallisation if it is at all possible (when one has more than one
k-point). The k-point parallelisation generates a case.klist for each
set of k-points and runs the usual cycle on each of them, with
appropriate summing of different quantities in between.

Whether you use one or two processors on a two-processor machine is not
so important when the two programs doesn't have to "talk" to each other,
like in k-point parallelisation. Also, here the network speed is not
such a big issue - just use a separate local scratch partition on each
machine. With MPI you should avoid the network (use a good crossbar in
stead), and forget all about myrinet, Gbit ethernet, and all the other
ways of getting money out of people for a meager performance increase.

Best regards,
Torsten Andersen.

Griselda Garcia wrote:
> Hello! Kevin
>
> Yes, I remember that discussion however I considered that was important when
> you try to use the two processors of the same machine but in my case I am
> trying to use one processor of diferent dual machines.
>
> But, if what you cited it is true, It is convenient to use th K-point
> parallelization in any way.
> So, I have other question, when the system to study have several atoms and
> one K-point, how do you run the code in parallel?, the running time will be
> similars in serial and K-point-parallel version?
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Griselda.

Dr. Torsten Andersen        TA-web: http://deep.at/myspace/
AG Hübner, Department of Physics, Kaiserslautern University
http://cmt.physik.uni-kl.de    http://www.physik.uni-kl.de/