[Wien] the isomer shifts problem

liuzw03 at st.lzu.edu.cn liuzw03 at st.lzu.edu.cn
Mon Oct 11 03:17:38 CEST 2004

> >The struct file is added below.
>
> You have a really 'free' Fe monolayer, not surrounded by anthing. Is
> that what you want? In that case, you can separate the layers even
> further by putting a single Fe at Z=0.

Yes.That's what we want.We want to calculate that system which is composed of many
Fe monolayers.If we put a single Fe at Z=0,what will the struct file be?we don't
know how to put it.

> > The isomer shift is the product of a constant and the difference
> > between the
> > density of nucleus at our Fe monolayers and the density of nucleus at
> > bcc-Fe.We
> > get the density at nucleus at Fe monolayers from the SCF files is
> > 15310.698213,and
> > the density at nucleus at bcc-Fe is 15309.668598.So the difference is
> > 1.029615.The
> > constant is about -0.24 whose unit is a0**3 mm/s.So we get the isomer
> > shift is
> > -0.247mm/s.I am puzzled if I have the right density of nucleus.
>
> What you would need in principle is the density *at* the point
> position of the nucleus. Unfortunately, WIEN cannot give you that
> number directly (there is a divergence at the nuclei, due to LDA/GGA,
> if I'm not mistaken). But you can hope that the density at a point
> close to the nucleus contains more or less the same information. That
> is what is given by :RTO. It is the density at a distance R0 from the
> nucleus, expressed in e/bohr^3 (I think, it is not mentioned
> explicitely in the UG). R0 is set for each atom in case.struct (and
> you might want smaller values than the defaults, similar to a typical
> nuclear radius for Fe). You will see that :RTO *strongly* depends on
> R0. Clearly, you cannot use the -0.24 (which contains information on
> the nuclear radius of ground and excited state for 57Fe), which is for
> a hypothetical R0=0. Solution: plot :RTO calculated for a few simple
> compounds as a function of the experimental isomer shift (using always
> the same R0, Rkmax and a converged k-mesh). That will be more or less
> a linear plot. Fit a straight line, and you can determine now for the
> calculated :RTO for your monolayer to which experimental isomer shift
> it corresponds. (have a look for the papers of P.E. Lippens and
> references therein, he has some works on the isomer shift calculation
> for 119Sn).
>
> Stefaan

The -0.24 is come from other literatures which are about calculating the isomer
shifts using the 57Fe.But maybe I choose a different R0 from others works.I will
try to fix it.
Thank you very much!!!
Best wishes!

your sincerely,