[Wien] Supercell and point simmetry

Peter Blaha pblaha at zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Oct 16 12:05:32 CEST 2004

Once you have created the supercell, you have to "break" the symmetry.
This can be done in two ways:

a) Introducing a small shift in some coordinates. This, however, will
reduce the spacegroup to some lower one (maybe even to P1)
b) Introduce an impurity,vacancy,.... i.e. either replace one of the atoms
by an impurity or remove it. Alternatively, you can also simply "label"
ONE (only one at the beginning!!)  atom, eg. Cd1   instead of just   Cd
Then WIEN "knows" that this atom should be "different" from the others,
but still will maintain the highest posible symmetry.
Note, however, that this procedure is potentially dangerous, because you
restrict the relaxations around this impurity to a highly symmetric one.
Anyway, if this is what you want then this is the most efficient way.