[Wien] Problems with PORT minimization!

L. D. Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Mon Oct 18 17:31:23 CEST 2004

The "***false convergence***" means that the algorithm could not find a
location with a better energy consistent with the forces that you are
giving it. This may not be an issue, since the numerical accuracy of
the energies and forces in Wien is limited. Unfortunately you don't
provide all the information that is needed to diagnose your problem:
	1) Are your energies/charges etc well converged?
	2) Is it a CXZ spacegroup (in which case there are other problems)

Beyond this, there is a basic point. You have fixed the positions of your
central Pt atoms, so it is quite reasonable that the forces do not go to
zero at the (constrained) energy minimum.

Laurence Marks
MSE Rm 2036 Cook Hall
2225 N Campus Drive
Northwestern University